Thursday, June 3, 2010

worship

Since moving to New Brunswick, I have become a regular church-goer. In fact, I have been employed by the church for over a month now as their part-time secretary. I like going to church. I really enjoy discussions about faith, the history of religion and think of myself as a spiritual being. However, I don't call myself a Christian. I find the label too restrictive.
I believe in God. Not so much as a father, but as the intangible force that unites us all. I believe in freedom of religion insofar as we should all have the right to practice our beliefs as we see fit - as long as we harm no one else.
Worship is one way to describe religious practice. It's a difficult word for me. I don't feel that I am worshiping at church. I can talk to God anywhere, anytime. I go to church to be with other people to join hands in faith. To recognize that we all need each other and are social as well as spiritual beings.
The word worship evokes the idea of idolatry to me. Like hero-worship. Celebrity worship, etc. Admiring, idolizing, seeing someone or something as worthy of worship.
That's why when people decide not to come to church saying "I worship on the green" when they golf on Sundays, it fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment