Monday, September 20, 2010

time

It's been so long since I've written, I hardly know what to say!

Besides "time flies while you're having fun!" there are zillions of other quotes about time. We all seem to want more time. "There's no time like the present". There's a regular piece called "Tid Bits" in the local paper that asks "prominent" members of the community ice breaker type questions one of which is "I wish I had..." It seems to me that 9 times out of 10 the interviewee says "time"!
Why do we want more time? Is it for the same reason we all seem to want bigger houses and more stuff to put in them? Are we just greedy? I was thinking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that if I had more time, I'd just fill it with more of the stuff that I fill my time with now. I think we kid ourselves into thinking that if we had more time, we'd prioritize it and save it for the good things. I don't think so.
The answer is not more time. What we need it less to do. We'd have more time for the good stuff if we stopped filling our lives with junk!
We try to make more time by creating and adhering to a schedule. We block time off for work, practices, games, meetings, etc. and rarely write-in play time, bike rides, dinner with friends, time to sit and talk to our spouses or just time to sit.
When I look at my calendar, it is often very full. When I get to a blank day, I wonder what it will be like. Those days are often also full, not of scheduled errands and tasks, but of hanging out, sitting, playing, etc.
So I will strive to insert more blank days into my calendar because letting the blanks fill in themselves works better for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment